Wednesday, August 6, 2008

What's In A Name?

Okay:

So, like, I have a home recording studio now. I bought a new computer back in February, as my regular readers know, and then I went out and bought ProTools software, an interface, a set of speakers, and a microphone. Which, low and behold, is all you really need. There are other fancy amenities that will improve your sound quality, but I'm satisfied with what I have for now. And considering my current financial situation, I don't think I'll be upgrading in this decade. For that matter, I don't plan on buying any new underwear any time soon either.

So, I hooked up with a handful of producers who have been emailing me beats and I have been recording at break-neck speed. We're talking Pac status here, ladies and gentlemen. Well, not quite Pac status. I'm told that in his last days he was recording at least one song a day. Stockpiling, basically. I'm at about one or two songs a week, which puts the total at well over 20. Closer to 30, actually.

I only know one other person, personally, who records compulsively like this. And that's my good friend, W. Ellington Felton, who puts out 3 or 4 albums a year.

It's a weird little affliction, I think.

As you know, I've been researching Narcissistic Personality Disorder for the past few days. Granted, I'm hardly qualified to make a diagnosis, but I think I've got that shit bad. One of the "symptoms", if that's what they're called, is compulsive productivity. Someone with this disorder feels the need to constantly create, risking quality for quantity, because they crave the instant gratification of a finished product. That would also explain how I've been able to keep up with this daily blog.

This may or may not be a good thing, guys.

I was talking to a friend of mine the other day, who reads my blog regularly. She was like, "I love your blog. One or two times I actually laughed out loud."

The average person probably would have taken it as a compliment. But I was thinking, Just one or two times? Does that mean the rest of them sucked? There's almost 200of them!

Another symptom is the need for acceptance from peers. I can't tell you how disheartening it is to wake up in the morning to check on my blog and find my comment box empty. (hint-hint).

Long story short, I am planning on releasing a new album soon. Possibly next month. Because of my money woes, it will only be available here for a while, and then I'll see if I can get me some digital distribution. I am expecting you ALL to download it. Even you "lurkers" who never leave comments.

In all seriousness, lurker or active participant, I am requesting your help with something very important. I need a title. I came up with some pretty cool names for my last two albums, "Sinnerman" and "Magnificent Bastard". I'm looking to continue in the same theme, but more cleverer.

I have a few ideas in mind.


A GORGEOUS KILLER. I like the dichotomy, but I'm worried about the connotation. I don't want anybody thinking I'm some sort of gangster rapper or something.

THE DEVILUTION OF CLAUDE NADIR. I liked the Robin Thicke album and loved the title. It's kind of my own creative twist on that concept and a commentary on my social, emotional and spiritual regression over the years.

THE BASTARD RETURNS. I plan on including a few remixes of tracks from my last album "Magnificent Bastard", which would make it kind of like a sequel.


That's all I've got for now. Maybe you like these and maybe you have some ideas of your own. If you are so inclined, post a comment with your vote or original title.

You'll be helping me out a bunch.


Thanks for reading.


Download the Hurricane Katrina 3rd Anniversary Commemorative Single "WHEN THE WELL RUNS DRY" (featuring Heron Gibran, produced by Du)


GOBAMA!


Postscript: I was also considering "The Fight in the Dog" for a while, but I eventually decided against it. But if you dig it, I'll throw it back in the pot.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm going to come up with a name...

Wanted to give you a shout out for your stand-up at the Obama fundraiser...you're a diverse talent! I didn't get to see you after the performance (Hook and I hightailed it out of there, it was too crowded for us) but thought you did a good job...

Akil Nadir said...

Too crowded for me too. I get claustrophobic. I think I may have literally hopped off the stage and ran out the door.

Black Swan said...

One, what happened to our agreement about how you spend your time? Two, learn how to spell devolution kid. You're incorrigible. And probably suffer from narcissistic personality disorder in which case you're doomed and I wash my hands of you.

Anonymous said...

Here's some titles:

No Dice
Innocent Gun
That's What She Said
If it weren't for bad luck...
Imminent Corruption
I'll Spit on Your Gravy
Gimme Some
...How I Keep From Going Under
Oh, I See How It Is...
Stunnalingus

Akil Nadir said...

brig:

I didn't spend a dime, and I left before 8:00pm. Then I went home and worked on a vocational evaluatation...for cash. Sheesh!

And I misspelled "devolution" on purpose. Get it? devil-lution. Give me some credit, man!

And the last sentence of your comment is a fragment. The independent clause is missing a subject. Consider using a semi-colon to separate it from the subordinate clause for a more pronounced pause.

Love ya.

And where's the title suggestion?

cesmonet':

I like "How I Keep From Going Under" and "Oh, I See How It Is".

More!

Anonymous said...

LOL, I ran out too...women with large body parts don't do well in tight rooms.

I like Cesmonet's "Imminent Corruption"

Hey Cee, check this out and watch yourself http://think.mtv.com/044FDFFFF00989E8C000800991814/User/Blog/BlogPostDetail.aspx

Black Swan said...

That sentence fragment is a device, as in I did it on purpose for effect. What about "hopped off the stage and ran out the door"? Should be "run out the door". Or did you do it for effect???? ;-)

For titles I got nuthin. Sorry kiddo. Will put the thinking cap on.