Tuesday, August 5, 2008

What Did You Call Me?

Okay:

So, the other day I got into an argument with a friend of mine. As you know, I am an asshole, and it's not entirely uncommon for me to get into arguments with my friends. But this time, it was different. Usually I'm just bored and I feel like being confrontational or contrary. But, I think I may have been truly insulted.

She called me the "M" word.

For the record, I've been a snazzy dresser for a while. Back before Andre 3000 and Kanye West made it trendy, I had my own style. Ask anyone who's known me for a while.

Also, I have always taken great pride in my grooming. I'm not what I would call meticulous, but I do pay attention to things like facial hair and nail length. You know. The basics. What kind of dirty motherfucker doesn't?

And I have eclectic tastes in art. I love musicals. But I do not plan on seeing Mama Mia. Looks cheesy. I have fastidious tastes in furniture. I wouldn't be caught dead with a black leather sofa or a glass coffee table. Even if someone was giving it to me for free. I'd rather have no furniture at all. Lawns chairs and a trunk with a mud cloth draped over it would be more charming.

I once went to pick a woman up from her house and realized after looking at her furniture that we could never be serious. She had a nice home, but it looked like a goddamn furniture store show room. You're not supposed to buy the fucking knick knacks and shit. You collect those things over time, with intent and care. You don't just buy a fucking living room starter kit from Marlo. Everyone knows that.

But I digress.

These days all this means I'm what they call a Metrosexual.

If you ask a woman she'll tell you that a Metrosexual is a straight man with taste. But we men know it means closet fag.

When I look at Kanye West, or Diddy, I can see how the term can be justifiably applied. Not that I think either man is gay. But the difference between them and me is, they are vain, almost to an effeminate point. I'm not vain at all, actually. I'm neurotic and narcissistic. To the untrained eye, it seems similar. But there's a huge difference.

I, for example, could very easily slip into I-Don't-Give-A-Fuck mode if some other aspect of my life is taking precedence over personal appearance. As long as it's about me, it can hold my attention indefinitely. I could go weeks without shaving or cutting my nails or getting a haircut, which, I imagine, would be a big no-no for a true Metrosexual.

So I told her to go fuck herself.


Thanks for reading.


Download the Hurricane Katrina 3rd Anniversary Commemorative Single "WHEN THE WELL RUNS DRY" (featuring Heron Gibran, produced by Du)


GOBAMA!


Postscript: Let's try to come up with a better label for me. Any suggestions?

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about 'neuro-narcis-sexual'? LOL

NoMysteryGod said...

BTW, what's wrong with a glass coffee table? And you know nothing says Ghetto-Fabulous like a black pleather couch...except maybe those mirrors with the black silhouette jungle animals.

Akil Nadir said...

Sanaa:

I like that one. Do I have permission to use it? Or do you plan on having it trademarked?

nomytserygod:

Damn...get your own blog! ;-)
JK. Glad you felt it today.

And I could tell you everything that's wrong with a black pleather sofa, but it would take a while. There is nothing, however, wrong with the animal mirrors. I like those.

Anonymous said...

You're one of my favorite bloggers, I love how your mind works and I play "Because" every other day, but, darling, I must tell you, you are a metrosexual. You cinched it when you said you had a pretty white shirt on in another blog post.

You put the sexy in metrosexual though! LOL

Akil Nadir said...

Alright, Moon. You're asking for it! ;-)

Dirty Red said...

Metrosexual?

Man please.
You are just a man that takes pride in his appearance.
And a man that takes pride in his living conditions.
What, a man cannot like the smell of poperie(misppelled)in his crib?
Or that skin so soft lotion?
If that is the case I guess we are in the same boat. But if you tell me that you iron your draws, then Houston we have a problem.

Anonymous said...

Lol, it's all too funny. Especially nomysterygod... But I will trademark the term and use your picture as a reference Claude. Cool?

ZACK said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
ZACK said...

I'll say this: A Man Defines Himself. If he allows anybody else to do it (nomysterygod and Cool Cee), then he's not a man.

I was very offended by nomysterygod talking about "overly churchy niggas" but then I realized that part of what he was saying is true. Churchy dudes are mostly gay. But then you have guys like me who aren't, and didn't deserve that.

But to each his own. If ignorance is bliss, I guess dude is a happy man. And life is all about happiness isn't it?

Back to you, Cool Cee...

I am not the most macho man either, but I know NOTHING about furniture. However, I realize that you just want to show that you have good taste.

I can't knock you bruh.