Monday, June 30, 2008

Getting Stronger

Okay:

So, I took the doctor's orders and slept in today. I apologize for the late post.

In case you've been worried sick about me all weekend, I feel a whole lot better. Almost 100% now.

I drank a lot of tea. A shit load of tea actually. This charming little Jasmine Orange Blossom stuff I picked up at an organic food store. If I have to drink one more cup of this shit, I think I'm going to bludgeon myself.

I hate Jasmine Orange Blossoms, and I hope they all whither and die.

I'd go down on Star Jones for some good old fashioned Lipton.


I also gargled with warm salt water a lot. Every other hour or so. I know that sounds exciting, but, trust me, this too gets old quickly.


And then there were the lozenges.

The lozenges. The lozenges. The lozenges.

I went threw a big old house bag of those fucking things. I was popping them every few minutes or so. Like a junkie.

I remember waking up in a NyQuil-induced stupor, stumbling around in the dark, grunting like Frankenstein, looking for my bag of Ricolas.

Now, those things never get old. I've never had much of a sweet tooth, but they're actually quite delicious. I may just keep a bag around the house from now on, should the craving hit me unexpectedly.

And perhaps a small bag in the car.

And at the office.


Then there was my impotent little cheap humidifier. Apparently, it's very important to keep the air moist whenever you're having eyes, ears or throat issues. Dry heat can really exacerbate the situation.

So I broke out my humidifier, which I know for a fact does not work. But like a lazy cousin, I keep it around anyway, in the hopes that it may one day live up to its potential. But for now, all it does it make a lot of noise.

A lot of noise.

It's something like a gurgling stream, except horrible. Like, if a gurgling stream were, like, homicidally insane, it would be my humidifier.

Just imagine the most cacophonous sound you've ever heard and multiply it by ten, and that would be my humidifier just getting warmed up.

It's a wonder I haven't disposed of it yet.

I think it's, like, possessed or something. And I'm, like, it's slave so it won't let me throw it away. It hypnotizes me with it's horrible gurgling and sends me subliminal messages to go kill people.

And when I get well, watch out...


Thanks for reading.


Download the new single "In The Kitchen" and the new Freestyle of the Week FOR FREE.


GOBAMA!


Innocent Question: I had a few friends stop by to offer their get-well wishes. But instead of tea and/or soup, everyone brought alcohol. What's that about?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

LMBAO @ I'd go down on Star Jones for some good old fashioned Lipton.

Glad to hear you are feeling better! Sore throats are definitely unpleasant.

In regards to the alcohol, it's been said that dark liquor soothes a sore throat; especially if you add a bit to your tea. And even if you don't use it as a remedy, be glad. You now have cocktails for when your lady callers come over:-)

ZACK said...

I am glad to hear of your recovery.

Don't feel bad about not posting regularly. I am surprised that you managed to stay current with us, considering that your throat felt like shit.

You manage to keep us laughing even when you're in pain. And you might contract another sore throat illness from messing with Star Jones. I'm sorry. Big Al used to be a tea-bagger back in the day. Who knows what he passed on to Star....

Akil Nadir said...

anonymous:

What can I say? Lipton does a body good.

About the alcohol, I've heard that before. In fact, a close friend advised me to drink whiskey when I first started coming down with symptoms. Then my discharge papers at the hospital warned explicitly against drinking alcohol because it would actually irritate my throat.

But I drank anyway.

zack:

But Star Jones got that money though.

msj2u_thx said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
TJ BROWN said...

OMG ...THAT WAS FUNNY AS HELL!!!!
Especially the humidifier..
you have my sense of humor!!!!
funnnnny!

msj2u_thx said...

You're right, I was getting a little worried there for a minute...

Thought I was going to have to strap you down and force feed you soup...one noodle at a time.

But looks like you already hooked yourself up...good on ya!! Men usually aren't too keen on self medicating.

I would say it's good to have you back to your old self...but you are the same even when you are sick and drugged or sick and drunk... as it were.

Anyway...glad to hear you have nearly returned to full health.

Don't know if you take requests...but it'd be interesting to hear your take on long distance relationships. The spin doesn't matter.

Thanks.