Friday, June 13, 2008

A Fond Farewell

Okay:

So, I got me a new job. Just put in my two weeks' notice on Monday.

I've been there for two years, and to be honest, it's kind of hard to leave. I've never made so many friends at a job. Usually schools are filled with elderly women nearing retirement age. But at this place, you'd be hard-pressed to find someone older than forty.

We all go to happy-hour together and hang out on the weekends and have cookouts and whatnot. It's great. But, as they say, all good things must come to an end.

Time to move on.

And make more money elsewhere.

The Human Resources department has a cute little policy. When someone resigns, they send out an ALLSTAFF email, with a one paragraph farewell blurb that bears a close resemblance to eulogy.

"Mr. Brown worked here for five years. He was instrumental in restructuring our computer networking system and never missed a day of work. He's going on to a better place now, and he will be sorely missed."

You can tell how well someone was liked by how long the email is.

My previous supervisor, who everyone hated, was given one sentence.

"Mrs. ______________ has separated from the company citing irreconcilable differences with the executive office."

Eight years with the school and that was it.

Kind of sad. Like the epitaph for an executed woman.

The Executive Director resigned a short while ago to pursue her doctorate. Her email was close to 500 words. Like an essay, really.

I received an email from HR inquiring as to how I wanted the news to be broken. I was given 3 options.

1. You can tell the staff yourself via an ALLSTAFF email.

2. We can send out an ALLSTAFF email on your behalf.

3. You can keep the matter private and tell whomever you choose.

I replied: "I'd like for you to send out one of those flattering farewell emails. At least one paragraph, and don't forget to mention my smile."

I found myself wondering exactly how it would be worded. Would there be some veiled resentment, a tinge of sarcasm? Or would it be a glowing tribute to a valued employee?

In the end, it was pretty standard.

Nothing to be read in between the lines.

Would I be missed?

A good riddance?

Couldn't tell.

"We wish Mr. Nadir the best of luck in his pursuits."

Well.

I've got my fingers crossed for ice cream and cake. If they make it a surprise then that means they really really liked me.

And it's always good to be well-liked.


Last chance to download the New Freestyle of the Week.


Thanks for reading.


GOBAMA!


Innocent Question: Is it bad to hope that the school languishes, at least temporarily, in my absence, and that the person brought in to replace me is horribly inept?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new job. I hope it all works out for you. Not to be a pessimist, but you'll probably hate the people you work with. [You ever notice no one job has EVERYTHING you need: The people suck...it's not enough money...it's boring...it's stressful...something/anything!]

Yes, Cee...it's bad to wish that. It will probably happen either way, but don't wish it.

Anonymous said...

I will keep my fingers crossed for the cake and ice cream, I'm sure you were a good enough employee for them to splurge on that for you.

Oh and yeah that is mean to wish taht on your soon to be former employer. You can still hang out with your the friends that you made, they can give you updates on your favorite students over drinks of course.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the new J-O-B. Looking forward to reading about your new colleagues and the emotions, behaviors and thoughts that arise in your day to day dynamics.

ZACK said...

Congratulations once again! I'm tired of congratulating you. Could you congratulate me for congratulating you? Thanks, Claude. I knew you would. :)

But this is the start of something big. Wait for me at the top, bruh.

Mizrepresent said...

Congratulations, things are really looking up for you! Have a great weekend, and Happy Fathers Day!

Anonymous said...

Are you still teaching or doing something different?

Akil Nadir said...

Gosh. There's so much love in here. I got the warm and fuzzies all over.

Really. Thanks, guys.