Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Cut Da Check!!!

Okay:

So part of my job is to run a paid in-school internship program. Of course, there are some inherent problems in such a program. I spent a long time thinking about how to run it so that it does not interfere with a student's academic schedule and can be tied in as a positive behavior incentive.

Imagine kids not showing up to class for weeks, months perhaps, and telling their teachers that they were at work.

Or imagine a kid telling a teacher "fuck you" one period, and then going to pick up his check the next period, with no reliable way of holding him accountable for his actions as it pertains to his pay.

Basically, he earned it. You agreed to pay him. Gotta give him his check, regardless.

Imagine the "line" trailing all the way down the hall on "Check Day", as the kids call it.

Imagine the kid whose last name begins with "W" having to wait for 15 minutes to get his check.

Imagine him eventually losing his patience and shouting, "Give me my motherfucking check, bitch!"

Imagine there being a payroll mistake and someone's check being short or missing entirely.

Whoa Nelly!

So, what does this all begin to look and sound like?

You guessed it.

Welfare.

Now don't get me wrong. There's nothing wrong with welfare, and it's really not a laughing matter for the people who need it. I just take issue with the unhealthy welfare mentality. And I also take issue with teenagers developing such a mentality before they reach the age of adulthood, with the assistance of adults who are charged with their education and overall development.

Call me crazy.

I was eventually able to create a system that eliminated these issues, for the most part.

Then I quit and found me a new job. Which is great for me, but, of course, some of my students are a little upset.


"Nadir, I heard you was leaving. Where the fuck you think you going?"

and...

"I heard you quit, man. Well, good riddance, nigga."

and...

"You a cold bitch for leaving us on stuck like this."



My interns were particularly concerned though.


"Nadir, I heard you quit. Am I still gonna get my check?"

and...

"How is I'm s'posed to git paid now?"

and...

"You was the best check-giving-out man I ever had. You was 'bout your business. Them other people used to be fucking up sometimes. But you was always right there early with my money ready. Shit gonna be fucked up now."


Gosh, I hope not.



Thanks for reading.


GOBAMA!


Don't forget to download the New Freestyle of the Week.


Innocent Question: What's your position on paid internships for students as an attendance incentive? Exploitation? Legitimate strategy? Or dangerously close to a free cheese kind of thing?

No comments: