Friday, April 25, 2008

Some Shameless Self-Promotion

Okay:

In case you were wondering, last night was fantastic. I haven't had that much fun at a show in a long time.

Some background.

About two years ago, it seems like, I was contacted by this white boy named Matt Grason who said he wanted to do a jazz album with vocals from hip hop artists.

"Like a Jazzmatazz thing?"

"No. I want to do a jazz album with hip hop artists."

"I'm not sure what you mean."

He sent me the track and then I knew exactly what he meant. He meant exactly what he said. It was a real jazz track with a 3/4 time signature. "How am I supposed to rap to this, I thought?"

Everything turned out great, and little less than a year later Motel was released. And last night I performed with Motel live for the first time at DC9.

I was a little nervous, having never rehearsed with them before and having recorded the song more than a year ago. I did muffle one particularly important line, so I may or may not be posting the video footage (I'm anal that way) but it was a decent set. Pretty dramatic too. I arrived, literally, five minutes before it was my turn to perform. Matt didn't even know I was there. I just kinda walked up on stage. He was like, "Who's this guy just walking up on stage like this?" He almost called security.

And now, the funny part.

There was a freestyle session for all the artists in the middle of the set. I did my thing. A rather humorous two-minute nonsensical rant, including non-words, scatting and a few grunts. Then I ended with "Vote for Obama!"

The crowd went nuts. Three dozen or so white folks with a few specs of chocolate and caramel scattered about (most of them performing artists).

As I was leaving I was accosted by this very drunk white boy. "Are you the Obama guy?"

"Yes, I am."

"That was fucking awesome, dude. I've been working in politics my entire life. We've got to get that motherfucker in office, man."

He was standing close enough to kiss me.

"If I give you something, do you promise to give Obama 50%?"

"Sure, whatever you say."

Then the motherfucker gave me a $20 bill.

"You make sure you do it, man. We gotta get that motherfucker in the White House!"

Sure thing. Then I made a bee-line out of the door before his friends could talk some sense into him. But not before I got me a picture.

This, ladies and gentleman, is my new best friend: Drunk, Surprisingly-Passionate, White Barack Obama Supporter.


Thanks for reading.

GOBAMA!

LISTEN TO MY MUSIC AND WATCH VIDEOS AT
http://www.blackbroadway-online.com

Important note: If you read this blog on a Ning social networking site, I'll be switching to an RSS feed on Monday. What does that mean, Mr. Fancy Computer Talk Man? It means you can still read the blog on the site, but instead of it being in the center column in the actual BLOG section, it will be in the left column. If that seems unnecessarily cumbersome, you can always check me out at my home site.

http://www.coolceebrown.blogspot.com

Also, you may or may not be receiving those annoying emails every morning anymore. I haven't figured out how to freak that yet. But this is a good thing because it's going to save me about a half-hour every morning. Stay tuned.

Shameless Plug: I'll be performing live tonight at Penguins with Dirty Water. If you're in the Baltimore area, come check us out. (Penguins - 1065 Maiden Choice Lane Baltimore, MD)

2 comments:

ZACK said...

Everybody loves you man! Including drunken white people. CLASSIC.

Oh yeah, I put your single on my page as well, and plan to buy one of your records one day.

But it's gonna take more than some good raps to convince that Obama's the man.

Mizrepresent said...

OMG! I didn't even know you were an entertainer too! Besides being the funny man...and you kept that man's $20, priceless!