Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Fighting Words


Okay:

WARNING-this blog is riddled with shameless plugging.

So I almost got into a fight the other night.

Gill and I went to Bar Nun to promote for the February 11th show (1326 U St, NW $5. Doors open at 8). It's the longest running open mic on the east coast. The talent ranges from phenomincal to pathetic. This past Monday a drunk man forgot his poem and started softshoeing. But, before he got big, Raheem Devaughn used to perform there a lot. Next Monday, I'll be there.

I say all that to say this. I had a few drinks at Bar Nun.

Then we left the club and went to WPFW where Gill co-hosts Ill Street Blues (every Monday night at 11 on 89.3 FM WPFW).

Being a single parent, I don't get out much. Especially on Monday night. But when I can, I always go support my homeboy. He's actually quite the radio personality. Very good at what he does.

At any rate, when I do get out during the week, I like to make it count. That typically involves offending someone.

This Monday, however, someone offended me. The topic of conversation for the show was Big Pun. Why is he not considered the best rapper of all time? Gill's theory is that he was Peurto Rican and he died a non-violent death. I'm sure that has some merit. I'm just of the opinion that at least Andre 3000 and Jay Z are both better lyricists. Although they have larger bodies of work so it's hard to judge.

That's beside the point.One of the cohosts suggested that Common is a better emcee, an opinion with which I vehemently disagree. Gill knew there would be trouble.

I've got a hard-on for Common. He used to be my favorite until he started dating Erykah Badu and went soft. It worked for Andre. It didn't work for Common. My theory: Erykah Badu's pussy is CRAZY! Although Common has managed to "ressurect" his career, he will never regain my respect. One reason above all others...Electric Circus.

I've never been more disappointed in my life. What a horrible album! Especially as a follow-up to the genius that was Like Water For Chocolate. Of course, the same prick who said he thinks Common is better than Pun, also thinks that Electric Circus was an excellent album. When I disagreed he tried to insinuate that I somehow had rudimentary taste in music.

"You probably don't even listen to music like that. What kind of music do you listen to?" he asked, believing that he would lead me into validating his preconception.

"Hold on, man," I said. "Don't even try it. I listen to all kinds of shit. You, on the other hand, look like a fucking nerd to me. Are you a nerd?"

He giggled.

"You look like you probably have a computer in your bookbag," I said.

"I do actually," he said.

"You can probably work the shit out of that motherfucker. You could probably take over the world with your super duper backpack computer. You're a nerd. And you're opinion doesn't count."

I continued. "Fuck you, Fuck Common, Fuck Dilla and Fuck Lupus."

The heated exchanged was diffused by the laughter of the other hosts.

No blows were exchanged but I think I could have taken him.

And, for the record, Electric Circus did SUCK ASS.

We'll also be at the Velvet Lounge (915 U St NW) tomorrow and possibly Bohemian Caverns (2003 11th St NW) promoting for the Monday February 11th show.

Thanks for the reading.

GO OBAMA!

JOIN THE BLACK BROADWAY COMMUNITY
http://www.blackbroadway.ning.com/


Confession: Last night I had gas so bad I had to run to the CVS for Mylanta. I've never been so happy to fart.

1 comment:

Cool Cee Brown said...

Don't YOU hurt em, Eurok.

Upset the Set Up!