Thursday, July 17, 2008

Holler If Ya Hear Me

Okay:

So, I'm sick of pretending. This single shit is getting old. I'm going to marry the next pretty woman I meet who is not an absolute nut job.

This came to me while I was brushing my teeth this morning.

I guess the seed was planted the other day while I was out running. I was running along, jamming to my iPod (Q-Tip's new mixtape is off the fucking chain!!!!), when I saw my homeboy's wife and kids. I stopped and talked for a while.

I was awe-struck by how beautiful his family is. Jealous, in fact. His children are intelligent, well-spoken and delightful. His wife is just as sweet as can be. I wondered for a moment whether or not I have been missing the big picture here. Maybe this is what it's all about. Maybe the thing I have been running from all these years is exactly what I need in my life. Commitment. Responsibility. Companionship. Love.

That sounded gay while I was typing it.

I am a loner. There's no denying that. I'd prefer to spend roughly 80% of my day alone. But maybe that's just because I haven't met someone who I'd like to share that time with.

More gayness.

So, I'm driving home from the track contemplating all these big questions. Trying to fight the feeling. I went to the crib, knocked back a few cold ones, wrote a misogynistic blog and went to sleep. But when I woke up I was still thinking about it. Then it occurred to me.

I grew up in a single parent household. My first prolonged exposure to a married couple was with my mother and my stepfather, whom she married my sophomore year in college. I don't even know what love looks like. All I have to go on is the movies. And rap music, to a certain extent. Neither of which are good points of reference.

Things started clicking. My stepfather is well-to-do. That explains why I think I can't get married until I'm financially stable. My mother never brought any boyfriends around when I was young. That explains my aversion to introducing women to my daughter.

Independently, neither is a bad idea. But I have gone one step further and developed a general antipathy towards relationships, using pragmatism as window dressing for what is essentially a love phobia.

So gay.

If we go deeper, maybe one might infer that I intentionally overspend and ignore debt to postpone financial stability, which, based on my current salary, is quite attainable.

Deeper still. Perhaps I use my daughter as an excuse to not invest in potential partners.

Super gay.

To be sure, I have not been with a woman who I felt like I could be serious about in years. Maybe I never have been. And maybe that's not an accident. Maybe I seek out women I know I could never commit to, and then complain about them in a tongue-and-cheek blog to hide my tracks from myself, but in reality it's all just a thinly veiled cry for help.

Clay-motherfucking-Aiken!

Or maybe this is all bullshit too. Maybe it's not me. Maybe it is all you crazy women out there with your storybook romance bullshit that make me wanna be a bachelor for life.

Who knows?

Who cares?

I'll tell you knows and who cares. I do. That's who.

And I have figured out how I'm gonna land me a woman who won't drive me crazy.

It's a step program. Here goes:

1) Get back in shape.

2) Get my toenails fixed.

3) Get my credit in order.

4) Buy a home.

5) Learn sign language.

6) Find me a gorgeous, childless, barren, deaf-mute woman and marry her.


Problem solved.



Thanks for reading.


Download the new single "In The Kitchen"


GOBAMA!



Postscript: I am more serious than you think I am.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

thanks for the shoutout bruh, 'ppreciate it! Another funny ass post!!!

Cynthia P said...

I am soooooooooooo lovin' your blog!

Great post!!!

Mizrepresent said...

Ah, self analysis is good...you are on the right track, but ummm what does learning sign language have to do with finding a mate? lol

Anonymous said...

Cee...*smh*...*searching for the words*...Sweetheart, it's really not that serious. YOU CAN DO IT! It's just a matter of wanting to, which apparently you're leaning towards now. Goodluck and Godspeed!

(And I'll have you know that a "childless, barren, deaf-mute woman" might not be all she's cracked up to be either. Children are wonderful when well-bred (well, well raised anyway), so if she has them it doesn't have to be a problem and y'all having them together wouldn't be so bad either. If she can't hear you or speak to you, you'd be bored and you know it, Mr. Vocal.)

TJ BROWN said...

I understand..guys reach that realization ...sooner rather than later..however deaf mute ..and CHILDLESS...
hmmmm..
high criteria
and hardly not happening...:)

Anonymous said...

when you mentioned a beautiful family, I knew it had to be Asheru.

that bamma studied in the Ossie/Ruby Dee school of black love.

and the kids are awesome too. that l'il knucka Gabe Jr. aka Smiley!!

Sojournals said...

Awe Cee...Somebody has a soft creamy center after all. Oh the closer to thirty you get. Monogamy is safe, reliable, dependable, better than a Ford Truck. I get that sugar mama you're looking for.

Posted some more photos of you.
http://www.sojournals.com/index.php/photo/photo/slideshow?albumId=630759%3AAlbum%3A38239