Thursday, November 29, 2007

Ah, the Humanity!

Okay:

Apparently, I'm a bit of a nihilist. Yes, it is true that I believe human beings are evil by nature. We must put forth a conscious effort to be good. If we refuse to acknowledge that little devil that lives within us, we are doomed to serve that devil. Let me explain.

The person who ignores his sexual urges, represses them, will ultimately become a deviant. (see Catholic priests, Michael Jackson, etc.)

The person who prides himself upon being honest will ultimately find himself engulfed in an immense deception. (see every televangelist ever.)

My personal opinion is that we should all strive to strike a balance between the demons and better angels of our natures.

I'm an artist so I see things in metaphors.

Life is like a diet. You cannot deny the fact that you really want a donut. You must acknowledge it, and choose the carrot anyway. But occasionally, you should treat yourself to something sweet. And as long as you're not being gluttonous, you shouldn't beat yourself up about it.

I was having a philosophical discussion with a coworker the other day. We were talking about religion, politics and sociology. At the end of our conversation she announces, "You're a nihilist! That explains your music!"

I was at a loss. Have a created a body of work that is not uplifting, but rather a misanthropic rant spanning nearly a decade?

I wasn't always like this. I used to think that people were good. I used to think that I was good. A myriad of negative experiences with my fellow man (mainly fellow woman) has shown me something different.

Now I know, for a fact, that we are all nasty and malicious. That we are capable of all kinds of atrocities, if pushed. Man is mischievous, bottom line.

And this has nothing to do with Adam and Eve. I don't believe in any of that either. This has everything to do with the average Joe and Jane.

Jane wants Joe. Joe wants Jill. Jane kills Jill. Jane Gets Joe.

This is humanity. This is Cane and Abel. It's not history. It's a case study spun into a beautiful narrative.

Maybe a little dark for a Friday, but I'm fairly certain this is what life is all about.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks for reading.

Tip of the day: Women, beware of public toilets. Crabs can jump nine feet! Try explaining that to your husband.

Shameless plug: I will be performing live at Bohemian Caverns on Thursday December 6 (11th & U St, NW WDC) 21 and over. No cover. Doors open at 8. Showtime at 9.

No comments: